Director of Environment and Sustainability
Position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Director of Environment and Sustainability directs programs and activities on behalf of the preeminent global companies in the information and communications technology (ICT) sector. As a lead member of the ITI Environment and Sustainability team, the Director develops and advocates positions on domestic and international policies related to energy efficiency and environmental priorities throughout the full product life-cycle. The prime focus of the position involves working with the ITI membership to develop and promote policies to advance (1) globally consistent product energy efficiency regimes; (2) green procurement leadership specifications; and, (3) sector coordination on product recycling programs.
The Director of Environment and Sustainability will lead also ITI’s product sustainability engagement in Latin America and will, as appropriate, manage ITI’s work on product carbon foot-printing initiatives. S/he will also work with the E&S Team to support broader sector initiatives on product life-cycle priorities, including industry efforts to drive global alignment of product materials content regulations. The Director reports to the Senior Vice President of Environment and Sustainability and undertakes other projects as assigned.
- Manage the development and achievement of industry positions in the areas of product energy efficiency (including ENERGY STAR, APEC and other global initiatives), green procurement and electronics recycling. Devise and execute strategies to achieve ITI objectives.
- Provide staff support for the ITI Energy and Environment Committee, and overall support to the Environment and Sustainability function. Coordinate as appropriate with the ITI Government Relations team and the ITI Global Policy team to achieve defined objectives.
- Provide staff leadership, support and expertise to leading IT companies in relation to established and emerging energy and environmental priorities across the full product life-cycle.
- Represent ITI before domestic and international governments, business groups and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) on association-formulated energy and environmental policy positions.
- Coordinate product energy policy and related life-cycle advocacy efforts with the ITI membership, allied trade associations and other stakeholders.
- Participate in the development and execution of the ITI Business Plan.
- Strong technical and regulatory expertise and knowledge in the areas of energy efficiency, materials content restrictions and sustainability priorities throughout the entire product life-cycle.
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate consensus on public policy issues, and ability to work cooperatively with company representatives and staff in a team environment. Experience working with an industry association, or in the Executive Branch, Congress, or a private corporation or non-governmental organization. Proven track record of working successfully in a committee-like setting.
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to exercise personal initiative in accomplishing objectives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate energy, sustainability and technology issues to a non-technical audience.
- Knowledge of domestic and international energy, environmental and technology policy. Experience with U.S. and international standards-setting organizations is desirable.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant policy or technical discipline is required. A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is also highly desirable.
How to Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Director of Environment and Sustainability."
Communications Intern – Spring Semester
Position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Information Technology Industry Council (ITI) is the global voice of the tech sector acting as the premier advocacy and policy organization for the world’s leading tech companies. Our external affairs team is looking for a creative, fun, and dynamic “go-getter” who is studying communications, public relations, or a related field, to join us.
Our companies are at the forefront of shaping our world, and the communications intern will work directly with the external affairs staff on projects that will have a real and positive impact on the tech industry and ITI’s brand. Beyond the normal scope of work, our spring semester communications intern will also be an important part of two major assignments. The first is ITI’s annual tech showcase – our biggest event. The other is a project to explore and expand diversity in the tech workforce.
We are the leading policy advocacy organization representing the top tech companies like Google, Apple, Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft and many more. You will be treated as an important contributor to our team, because we want to make sure you finish the semester smarter, more experienced and with impressive bullets to add to your resume. The office environment is collegial and collaborative and you will work directly with ITI staff and our member companies. This is a paid position with flexible hours of up to 35 hours/week. This internship may, as an alternative, be completed for course credit.
Roles and responsibilities
- Works with external affairs team to grow ITI's online community
- Tracks and reports social media analytics
- Helps to create content for ITI’s Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn
Messaging and Media Relations
- Drafts and edits advisories, press releases, blogs, and other materials
- Assists in setting up and staffing media events
- Maintains media lists
Member Company Recruitment
- Helps develop and organize marketing materials
- Assists with planning and marketing of ITI events like speeches, panels, and meet-and-greets
Annual Tech Showcase
- Aids in various aspects of planning and marketing
- Supports day-of event execution
Tech Diversity Project
- Assists with research and analysis of workplace demographics and industry STEM initiatives
- Works directly with member company representatives
Other duties as assigned (don’t worry, we make our own coffee!)
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- Have strong research and analytical skills
- Be studying communications, public relations, or a related field
- Love to write and have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Know social media and networking
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Be able to work independently and collaboratively
- Be able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- (Graphic design and/or HTML knowledge is a plus, but not required)
How to Apply
Please send your resume, availability, cover letter and two writing samples to: email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Internship” by WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 28, 2015.
Unfortunately we won’t be able to respond to everyone who applies. Good luck!